DFW Drums Blog

Mike's blog of things relating to Dallas/ Ft. Worth's Live Music Community and especially Drums!

Friday, March 31, 2006

Choke Full of Guitars

My last real band, "Falling Upstairs" (I call it 'real' because the band made some pretty serious money as a pop/dance/ variety band playing the area's "A" rooms) disbanded almost two years ago.
This was a band that I put together. A fairly difficult feat for a drummer, but I was bound and determined to play in "A" rooms before I retired. The band went through several personnel changes before ever taking the stage, but we did manage to play Manhattans, the Pour House and 8.0 AND had a signed contract to play Pampano's before "Falling Upstairs" fell apart. (pun intended)
Since the break-up, I made the decision to join a working band instead of trying to put something together again. It's very hard to find the right pieces, keep everyone motivated to work within a a start-up, fund the project, book the band, record a demo, put a promo pack together, keep everyone motivated to work within a start-up, find rehearsal space, get everyone to show up for rehearsals, get everyone to show up for rehearsals prepared, decide on a set list, decide on a name, find a booking agent, not to mention keep everyone motivated to work within a start-up!
So I set out on the audition circuit in the fall of 2004. The first band I "hooked up" with was "Pulse". Some pretty good musicians, some decent vocalists. I worked with them for about six weeks before it became apparent to me that they would never, ever get to stage. The "music director" would see to that. Sure enough "Pulse" never made it to stage and broke up.
Next up... "Shiver"-- another pretty decent band that as far as I know is still playing today. Like Pulse, Shiver had a music director--both just happen to be former frustrated drummers who wanted to play vicariously through me. Well, there's barely enough room in here for me, let alone a "music director" who wants to dictate to me when to play the ride and when to play the high hat. So, Buh-bye Shiver!
Over the next year, there would be some very frustrating auditions with a variety of garage bands all of whom had the highest of aspirations but low on talent, experience and honest knowledge of the live music community.
Which brings me to the point of this blog-- Guitar Driven Classic Rock Projects or as I will refer to them GDCRP's. Through the audition circuit and many "chemistry sessions", I've discovered that there are more GDCRP in this town than there are 7/11's! There are dozens, if not hundreds of variously talented musicians in the DFW area--all of whom desperately believe what this town needs is just one more CR band! Don't get me wrong, I like classic rock. I'm not only of that vintage, but I played for "The Saints" for two years--one the better CR bands in the area.
My problem with these GDCRP's is three fold.
First, the complete saturation of CR bands in DFW. Second, the lack of clubs willing to book--and more importantly PAY CR bands a decent rate. Third, the fact that these variously talented musicians all believing that set lists should be about what the band wants to play and not what the audience wants to hear.
While putting together "Falling Upstairs", my partner and I conducted extensive research to determine WHO are target audience would be, what they wanted to hear and then measured that sharply with the vocalists and musicians limitations. Then we took our very fluid and very dynamic set lists to club managers, booking agents, and to our target audience again to make sure we were heading down the right path. We continued to change and alter the set lists over the life of the band. A set list truly is the asset of the band.
I remember many times during rehearsals when someone would say, "I'm sick of this song". My response was always the same, "Well, we must be getting pretty close to being ready to play it on stage then".
But I digress. Back to my train of thought --which does have a caboose. There are some awesome bands here. I think Dance Regina is the freshest, best sounding project in Dallas PERIOD! I have great respect and admiration for Mars Hill, Random Axis and Look Out. I know people in Emerald City--a great band-- and Tropix. Professor D is a very good local band.
What makes them great is again a three pronged approach. First, the target audience is a mostly female audience. If you ultimately appeal to a female audience, they have more of a tendency to form a loyal allegiance. Where women go, men are sure to follow. Two, these bands play great dance music. Our philosophy in "Falling Upstairs" was 'if they're not on the floor, they're out the door'. Three, these bands employ great musicians and great vocalists and most front great looking female vocalists. All key ingredients in successful DFW bands.
So, having said all that and still believing in all that with fervor, I joined a classic rock cover band recently. The reason: they are going to stage soon and I have GOT to get back on stage! See you there.