DFW Drums Blog

Mike's blog of things relating to Dallas/ Ft. Worth's Live Music Community and especially Drums!

Monday, October 07, 2013

Rewarded with The Truth

Hello Blog-

It's been a while... a long while. Been hiding for several months, but I'm ready to resurface and resume a musical  life.

Falling Upstairs was a hell of a ride and a lot of fun. Steve, Keith and Dave...y'all were great and that was the best band I've ever played in. The most work, but the best band.

And now... it's onto the next thing, whatever that is. It's never fun, finding a new project. Meeting new people. learning new personalities and experiencing new egos. But the most difficult part of finding a new band is finding the truth.

People will contact you, email or text. In rare instances, they'll even call and get you pretty excited about what they'll do and tell you what you wanna hear. And then... inexplicably and without notice or reason. They're gone. *poof*

Just like that. The e-mails stop. No replies. The calls stop. no replies to voicemails. I'm left to reason that a spaceship came and plucked them up off the face of the earth.

Maybe not, but that's what I like to tell myself.

Honestly I find that I failed some litmus test in some way. I said something wrong or someone came around who was a better fit or maybe they just can't admit that the whole thing just fell apart.

Whatever went wrong, I wish people would just send a one sentence email explaining what happened. I'm a big boy... I can take it. It feels as though if you do everything right. Say all the right things, portray yourself in the correct manner. Be more than they ever expected, you may be rewarded with the truth.

But if something is amiss. If some little unexplainable chip causes any consternation. If your voice sounds wrong or if your email address is too difficult to remember or .....whatever. You'll be banished from the thoughts and minds forever. It's a nasty by product of the social media world in which we live, but it sure would be nice if I knew that whoever I was talking to hadn't keeled over from a heart attack!