DFW Drums Blog

Mike's blog of things relating to Dallas/ Ft. Worth's Live Music Community and especially Drums!

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

A dime a dozen

Come one come all. It seems that you can't swing a dead armadillo without hitting a drummer looking for a band around here anymore.
Can't help but wonder where they all came from. I know a few have moved into town recently. Maybe some others are just getting started, but for as long as I can remember, folks have been bemoaning the lack of drummers in the DFW area. People post some of the weirdest ads looking...well, actually begging for a drummer. "Please come play our crap! We're not going to gig and we're going to treat you worse than you can imagine, but we need a drummer to lay down some licks on our three chord masterpieces."
Uh-oh. Started down a bunny trail again.
This is the first time I can remember that there has been more ads for drummers looking than virtually anyone else....even bassists. And everyone plays bass!
The short shot of this is this: The auditions have slowed to a trickle and everywhere I seem to go, I'm either the first, second or third drummer of the night.
I think I really hate auditioning.